Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Why is Being a Christian difficult?

Is it just me or is being a Christian difficult?

I am not being facetious. I am legitimately asking.

To clarify, I have recently been receiving "Voice of the Martyrs". I  am bothered by the fact that many Believers around the world are paying for their faith with life and limb while I struggle with living my faith outwardly. Why? It is not like I will pay for my belief with anything more than having someone maybe snicker at me. Though this is true, I still struggle with showing my faith.

Could it be that I am too comfortable and distracted?

When I consider how pampered we are in the West, it is easy to see how there seems to be no room for God. We have exceptional free healthcare; relatively affordable housing; an endless parade of entertainment possibilities; a good socio-economic safety net and an array of other opportunities to meet any need - real or imagined.

Reminds me of another society from years ago. Laodicea. They were wealthy, healthy and wise - or so they thought. God saw it differently. He called them wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. (Revelation 3:17)

Could this be true about us...about me?

Maybe we can take counsel from God. He counselled the people of Laodicea to buy from Him gold refined in fire so they may be rich, white clothing to cover their nakedness, and salve to heal their blinded eyes. Maybe we should do the same.

I think the first step in doing this is repentance. Repent of our arrogant attitudes toward God and truly humble ourselves in obedience to His Holy Word and the sanctifying work of His Holy Spirit.

God forgive me. Holy Spirit sanctify me. Christ lead me.

Press on, it gets harder but more rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment